When switching from iPhone to Android phone, there are a lot of data that you have to transfer from one phone to another. When you transfer photos, music and apps you should also transfer your contacts from iPhone to Android and not leave important phone numbers, emails and addresses on your old device. In this article, we will explain how to transfer contacts, as there are several ways to transfer contacts from an iPhone to an Android phone.
The steps in this article apply to How to transfer contacts from iPhone to Android easily. You can also transfer contacts from Android phone to iPhone and from iPhone to iPhone.
Transfer Contacts from iPhone to Android Using Google Account
First of all you will need a Google account. If you do not have one, create one in a minute, head to the Google homepage and click on the “Create Account” option, enter all the required information, and click create.
Once you have created your Google Account, proceed with the following steps:
- Go to your Iphone “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” section in the Settings menu. This is where you will enter your Google account. Hit the Add Account button, select the Google option, and enter your account login information.
- Then your iPhone will ask about what you want to sync with your Google account. Make sure to select the Contacts option and then click “Sync now” from the three dots from the top corner, then your iPhone will start syncing the contacts with your Google account. This is the part where you will need to be patient if you have a lot of contacts as it may take some time.
- Now if you are already logged in with the Google account that you synced the names to, ignore this step. If you have not added a Google account on your Android phone, go to the “Accounts” section in the Settings list. Hit the Add Account button and select the Google option then enter your login information.
- Once you log in from your Android phone to the Google account that you synced contacts to, all the contacts on your iPhone will be displayed on your Android phone in the Phone app.
It should be noted that your iPhone will not tell you when your contacts are synced. To check this go to Site > Google Contacts and sign in with your Google account if necessary and browse through the list of contacts from there.
Transfer contacts from iPhone to Android via iCloud
One of the easiest ways to transfer contacts from one phone to another by exporting contacts from your iPhone to your iCloud account and then using a private contact list downloader on your Android device to retrieve those contact numbers on your new phone.
To export contacts from iPhone to iCloud, follow these steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Click on your name and then choose iCloud.
- Turn on the Contacts option to back up your contact list to your iCloud account. If the option is turned on, contacts are backed up Do not change this setting and continue with the next step.
- Sign in to iCloud from any web browser.
- Choose Contacts.
- View the list of contacts and make sure that all of your contacts are in the list.
Download an app to transfer or import contacts from iCloud to Android
After exporting your contacts to iCloud, now you have to download the contacts to your Android device. Android phones do not have direct iCloud support. Instead, install an app that offers the ability to download iCloud contacts and here are some examples that you can download any one:
The steps for importing your contacts from iCloud to your Android device are slightly different depending on the app you chose but all apps follow the same process.
- Sign in to your iCloud account in the app.
- Download your contacts.
- Open the contacts file via the Contacts app and choose Import.
And Now all the contacts have been imported from the iCloud account on your Android phone.
Transfer contacts from iPhone to Android using the program
iCloud is not the only cloud service capable of transferring contacts. My Contacts Backup is a special contact transfer program that sends you contacts to your email as a VCF file.
- Download and install “My Contacts Backup” from the App Store from here.
- On the iPhone, enter the program and click Backup.
- Click on Email.
- Send a backup of your contact list to yourself or to another email address that you can access on your Android phone.
- Enter the email you sent the names to on your Android phone.
- Open the message and tap the download icon for the VCF file.
- Choose Contacts.
- When prompted to confirm importing contacts to your Android phone, click agree.
- Now all the names will appear in the contacts on your Android phone.
Transfer names individually and easily
If you want to transfer only certain contacts, you can use the “Share Contact” option. Open Contacts and choose the contact you want to transfer. Tap on “Share Contacts.” This option allows you to either share them via email, message, or via AirDrop.
If the number of contacts you want to transfer exceeds ten, this is clearly not the appropriate method (follow method 1 above). But if the number is less than 10 then there is no need to use the above methods.
Can a SIM card be used to transfer contact?
The SIM card cannot be used with some phones. You can back up contacts and other data on the SIM card, put the card in the new phone, and import the data. Unfortunately, this is not possible with iPhones because iOS does not support storing data on the SIM card.